Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I knew the moment that I laid eyes on these precious children that my life was with purpose. It is hard to describe to someone who has never experienced the joy of becoming a mother, but it is a feeling, an experience, a tangible aura that simply settles in. Here to stay and it is forever life altering.
I have never loved a single day in my life the way I learned to love the day my first child was born. I have tears in my eyes just thinking of that moment when the nurse placed Avery on my chest and I stared into the bright eyes of this chubby little stranger whom I loved more than anything. She is
mine. Forever and always mine.
Your perspective on life, the way things work and what your future will now contain is forever altered. Instead of wondering what next week will have in store for you, now you know. It will most likely contain a lot of lounging around staring at your precious newborn. Losing sleep, but loving every minute of it. Changing countless diapers but admiring how simply adorable they are. Wondering how it is that you never realized how functional breasts actually are, but damn they are pretty cool. And a million other things that teach you that what you knew as life before kids no longer exists and that is no longer frightening to you.
I have faced some pretty big obstacles and challenges since the birth of my children. It is no easy feat having three children under the age of 2...trust me on this one! But each challenge has come with a learning opportunity. I have learned to be open and accesible to this type of instruction. I have made mistakes, repeated mistakes but I have also learned a lot of tips and tricks and techniques to make life flow smoothly for a percentage of the time. This is all I can ask for. This is what parenting is all about. Parenting is tough, it is challenging and as you have always been told, there is no training manual on how to raise children. You will make mistakes. There will be apologies. There will be sacrifices to be made. But in the end, it is all so incredibly worth it. It is worth the learning experience. It is worth the trouble because you will have children who know what it means to be loved. Being a mother means loving, and I mean really, truly, deeply, insanely loving these little humans that you have created so much that making mistakes and learning from them only make you better at your job. Being a mother means knowing that it is up to you to create an atmosphere where your children can thrive and in spite of what it may take away from you as an individual you find that it is just the way it is supposed to be. To me, being a mother is everything that I have ever wanted out of this life. If I can have three wonderful, beautiful, bright, exceptional children(as I already do), I know that I have the best job on Earth. I am a Mother. Now and For always I will call Avery, Bennett and Bria as my own. I am so very blessed and so very lucky to have been honored with this wonderful job opportunity!
Give your Mother's a great big hug today and know that you all have been loved unconditionally by the one who calls herself "Mom."

1 comment: