Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tomorrow at this exact time, I will probably be sluggishly running the last mile of the 5K portion of my Triathlon.  I can imagine all of the spectators cheering us on, sweat dripping down my face making my cheeks itch underneath my sunglasses, and thinking to myself, "You've got this Amber, one foot in front of the other."  Not bad right?  At least I am not imagining something  awful happening.  Who knows really, what will be going through my head but experience tells me that I will be fighting myself to continue running all the way to the finish line.

Avery and I went to the Midtown YWCA yesterday afternoon for my packet pick up.  Some races allow you to do this on race day, ours did not.  So, we drove down the ever charming Lake street, in pouring rain, while Avery squealed and squirmed in the back about to pee in her pants(a story for another time).  We ran in and directly to the restroom.  Phew!  I could feel the anxiety melting  off of me as I took a few deep breaths and recomposed myself.  We made our way into the gym where there were tables set up by alphabet.  I was handed my green duffel bag full of goodies and asked if I had any questions.  I did have one because I am new to this and I have no idea really what to do.  I asked if I plan on wearing the same outfit throughout the whole race, do I have to swim with this pinned on number hanging off of me?  There were two blank but mildly amused faces staring back at me for at least 4 seconds until one of them answered, well, no.  You either have to pin it on in transition or buy a race belt.  A what?  A race belt is basically a backpack strap that you attach your number to and then clip around your chest/waist as you get off of your bike to begin the run.  That option sounds much better to me than either A) Swimming with a bulging pinned on number or B) Attempting to safety pin a number on myself while I am running.  So, I am officially on the hunt for a race belt.  I struck out at Sports Authority, but I ran into one of my TRI buddies and old college roommate there which was hilarious as we had just spoken on the phone minutes before!  I have a few other places that I am going to check out today.

The goody bag had my Triathlon t-shirt in it along with my green swimming cap(different waves have different colors) and all of my numbers: 998 to attach to my helmet, bike, and self.  It made everything so real finally holding those numbers in my hand and knowing that in two days it will be game on.  I am nervous and excited but more than anything, I am proud of myself and my friends for attempting this type of race.  Triathlons scare a lot of people for various reasons.  I think if you can get over the fear of the open water, the rest is cake...or, at least easier comparatively speaking :)

I have in mind all of the things that I am going to need tomorrow am.  Jenn #1000 is picking me up at 6am and we are heading to the race together.  I have many people coming to support me and I am so looking forward to seeing all of their lovely faces at the finish line. 

Hopefully tonight I can relax, get my bag packed and wake up fresh and ready to rock and roll!

Wish me luck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment