Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Bennett & Bria


Three years ago today, my life was forever changed when these two precious angels were born. Bennett Joseph was 5 pounds 15 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long. He was born at 9:05 pm with a head full of dark brown hair. Bria Grace was 4 pounds 13 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long. She was born at 9:06 pm bald!





The twins were born at 34 weeks 6 days at Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, MN. They were in the Level 2 nursery for 9 days. Bria had jaundice and needed to be under the bili lights and Bennett needed an oxygen hood for about an hour after he was born. They both had NG tubes to give them nutrition because they were not swallowing that way because they were so little and so early. The doctors wanted them to conserve their "sucking" energy for the real deal.

On Friday Feb. 16th, I went to my 34 week appointment where I was told that I was dilated to 3 cm. I went home knowing that it wouldn't be long before the babies were here. I called my mother in law who was driving up from Kansas City to take care of Avery and told her that I would most likely be having them within a few days and she should make her way up here. On Sunday the 18th, I was experiencing contractions every 4-8 min's all day. I told Chadd that we had better take some pregnancy photo's before it was too late. My mother in law arrived at 3pm that day and we gave her an overview of taking care of Avery with the thought that I would go to the hospital and be sent home. When we got to the hospital, I was at 4cm


They gave me Terbutaline to try to stop the contractions and I dilated to 5cm in a half an hour and Bennett's little foot was presenting. They rushed me into surgery and the rest is history!
If I focus on each child, as an individual, they are about as different from each other as night and day. I think that most people assume(I was one of them)that twins will be the same. They should look similiar(even though they are not identical and yes

I have been asked that numerous times)they should act alike, they should behave the same way etc...but they are NOT! My twins were essentially what you are always told about Fraternal twins....simply siblings born on the same day. They share 50% of their genes with each other...the same as they share with Avery.
I will tell you how they are similar. They are similar in that the way they behaved in utero, is the way they still behave today. Take Bria for instance.
She was in position, head down, just like a good little girl. She was not a big puncher or kicker. She rolled slowly and never caused much trouble.
Today, she is the same way. She is usually the only one doing what she is supposed to be doing. She is sweet and cautious and quite honestly the "perfect" child. Bennett, on the other hand, was breach, he was kicking his sister in the head thus preventing her from engaging, always punching and kicking...a regular spit fire. Today, Bennett is my challenge. He is our wrecker! He is rambunctious and loud and physical and quite honestly a total charmer. He is a great little guy that is 100% BOY through and through.
What I have learned is that differences are good.
Their differences make them each an individual and
unique. Imagine if everyone were the same? How boring right? There have been times when one child is on vacation, or with the other parent and we notice the big void that is a result. While it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier dealing with 2 children, the absence of the third makes the dynamic completely different and we find ourselves missing the absent child. Our little family of 5 was exactly how it was supposed to be.
So, they may not look alike, act alike, or even sound alike but Bennett and Bria are unique and individual and they have added so much to our lives. To my darling babies, siblings born on THIS day: Happy 3rd Birthday with love from your mom, dad and sister!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment